Florida Spine & Pain Specialists
Interventional Pain Specialists & Sports Medicine Specialists located in Riverview, FL
Chronic back pain is a leading cause of disability in the United States. If you’re dealing with severe pain, especially in your mid or low back, book an appointment online or by phone with Dr. Nomen Azeem at Florida Spine & Pain Specialists in Riverview or Wesley Chapel, Florida, to learn about recent advances in treating back pain.
Back Pain Q & A
What causes mid and low back pain?
Your spine a complex structure, with 27 vertebrae that interlock and protect the spinal canal. Between the vertebrae are discs that provide shock absorption and cushion the bones. With so many intricate parts, there are numerous ways things can go wrong. Several conditions can contribute to back pain, including:
- Degenerative diseases
- Herniated or bulging disks
- Spinal stenosis
- Irregularities in the spine
In some cases, you may have more than one cause of pain. Because any type of chronic pain is complex, Dr. Azeem performs a thorough examination, often including imaging tests, to diagnose the underlying causes of your pain.
How is back pain treated?
The goal of a pain management program is to lessen the severity of your symptoms, and every program is tailored to the specific needs of the individual patient. Common elements of a back pain management program include:
- Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Physical therapy
- Prescription pain medications
- Lumbar epidural injections of steroids
- Lumbar nerve blocks to stop the nerves from sending pain signals
Pain management may be a way for you to avoid surgery, or it could be part of your rehabilitation after surgery. Whatever your circumstances and goals, Dr. Azeem will work with you to find a pain management program to fit your needs.
What surgical procedures can treat back pain?
Surgery is usually the last resort, but for some people, it’s the most appropriate treatment. Several surgical interventions can successfully treat mid or low back pain, including:
- Kyphoplasty: a procedure that strengthens and stabilizes fractured vertebrae
- Herniated disc removal: a discectomy removes the part of a damaged disc that is putting pressure on the spinal cord
- Spinal decompression: in cases of spinal stenosis, widening the spinal canal to relieve pressure can relieve pain
- Spinal fusion: a procedure to join two or more vertebrae together
Chronic mid or low back pain can be debilitating and make it difficult to perform your normal daily activities. It can also have a negative psychological effect. If you’re suffering from severe back pain, call or book a consultation online with Dr. Azeem to learn about your treatment options.
Neck Painmore info
Back Painmore info
Sports Injuriesmore info
Spinal Stenosismore info
Vertebral Compression Fracturesmore info
Peripheral Neuropathymore info
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)more info
Muscle Painmore info
Auto Accidents and Workers' Compmore info